Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How to make and set a trap for Codling Moths



Codling Moths can be a real problem in an organic apple orchard. Their larvae burrow their way into the heart of the apple and it rots from the inside out.
 

 
An adult codling moth (ref: Wikipedia)
 
 
The damaged apples
 
I am not sure whether we have an infestation of codling moth but rather than wait to be certain either way I decided to lay some traps. First I made sure that I had:
Vinegar
Ammonia
Molasses
Water
Then I cut some 2litre plastic bottles in half. Each half was punctured on both sides and a piece of builder's string was tied through each hole.


 
The mixture consists of 5 cups water, 1/3 cup of molasses, 1/8 tsp ammonia and 1 cup of vinegar.
 
 
I made three times the mixture and this made plenty for my six traps.

 
One of the traps set in the orchard. I will check next week to see if we have caught anything.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment